What is an Eclectic Witch? What does he or she do? How does this affect their magic and point of view? Well friends, let’s explore. Eclectic witchcraft seems to be a term that gets a look in the witchy world, but I want to shed some light on this as this is a part of who I am and how I approach magic.
So let’s dive right in... What does an eclectic witch do? The eclectic practitioner takes information from multiple belief systems and practices and uses what works for them. I have studied and am still discovering all kinds of magic. I think there is valid information in all traditions. Anything that works for me, I continue to use in my practice. For example, I use herbs and stones for healing that are more associated with green European witchcraft *and* goofer dust and hotfoot powders as seen in Hoodoo for protection. I just let my intuition guide me based on what I know and feel is needed for that particular circumstance.
How does this shape my point of view? My personal view on magic and the different paths is very open, as are most eclectics. I don’t limit myself to one way because there is no one way that seems to work for me. Instead, I look at the world as my source of information. Whether I am learning about Norse mythology to understand the teachings of Asatru or I am learning what Draconian magic does... either way, I do not see it as dark or light, good or evil. Every magic serves a purpose. My personal practice does not include Satanism, sacrificial magic, or necromancy but yours might. Again, it’s what works for you.
I also try to help newer fellow witches as much as possible by providing them with the information or were to find it. What does an eclectic altar look like? Well, we have multiple altars in our home. Our altars help the flow of energy we tap into and how the energy flows in the house. We have one for crystals only, and two very different altars with distinct purposes. One is purely to channel energy and one I use to charge items with our energy especially divination tools or items. Long story short, there is no right or wrong way to set up your altar with the eclectic path. It’s whatever works for you. That’s important because we sometimes get caught up in the minute details. But, don’t… just use your intuition and knowledge base.
So, here is a 101 on altars...
First, find a place in your house that if you have kids, pets etc. won’t knock it over or mess with it. Second, choose items that represent you whether it be a deity you follow, candles, items from nature, certain colors, photos the possibilities are endless. Third, once you have your main altar set you can add or subtract to it for the wheel of the year for example since Yule is upon us adding items that represent the season can be a way to make your altar more festive for the season.
Below are photos of the 3 altars in our house during the normal times of the year when I haven’t decorated it for a Sabbat or Esbat.
So from left to Right Crystals, Regular ritual or spell work altar, then divination altar each have different representation from different paths.
The room we chose for our altars has a bunch of natural light and is in the front of the house, which to me just gives a warmness to the room especially at night even when you flip on a light and just sit to read. We did not always have everything pictured. It has come bit by bit and some was handmade using things you can readily find at Good Will, Dollar Tree, and local metaphysical shop or online.
Here is a quick, easy and unique way to represent the elements like we did. We took clear glass bottles and filled them with water and food coloring to get the desired color to represent each element. The cost was $10 total for bottles and food coloring, as seen in our ritual/spellwork altar. You could also go to your local vintage or Good Will and finding colored bottles for cheap that haul was $5 for the 4 bottles on our divination altar.
Overall, my wisdom to you is think about what moves you, things you like, what you connect with and make your altar something uniquely you. Play with it and have fun, though. Do not get overwhelmed by it. Also, look for inspiration. Search pictures of similar altars and shrines. That’s the fun of it really, personalizing and using elements that make up you and your energy.
Author: Kieran of Silfren Circle
This subject is one of many that when you come across it you can’t help but wonder. There are tons of questions that surround this subject... What is a twin flame? Have I met them yet? How do I know my partner is my twin flame? How are they different from a soulmate? These are all good questions, and I hope to answer all of them for you.
First, the basic definition of a twin flame is our soul's twin, and we only have one, but I will get more into explaining the two-soul thing in a minute. It is a relationship with a divine union for a divine purpose. Now I know that explanation probably left most of you scratching your heads going what on earth do I mean. Well, a twin flame is created when one soul splits and takes on two different Earth bodies.
Firstly, the twin flame theory is based on reincarnation. So, for those who believe, we simply do not just die and then poof there is nothing. Our soul returns to the universe as pure energy until the time comes we are to be brought back on Earth into human form. I can tell you this universe is vast and we play many rolls throughout the lives we live. If you have a twin flame, your overall goal is reunion through those lifetimes.
Now there is a book that explains this theory a lot better than I can. It is called Journey of Two Souls by Dr. Michael Newton. His explanation on this is, “Where one soul is able to bi-locate and bi-incarnated into different physical bodies on the planet within the same lifespan.” I don’t know about anyone else, but my mind was blown away when I read that. And, I find that the easiest way to understand the concept of twin flames is looking at it from that standpoint... two halves of the same whole.
Now, I know questions will follow like do the souls know how to identify one another should their paths cross in the same lifetime? A very good question. There will be people who say I have found my twin flame, and others who aren’t so sure or have and have yet to start down the path of being together.
So, how do I know I have met my twin flame? Or will I meet my twin flame?
Kate Rose, an expert on the subject, states “Both twins feel simultaneously inspired and toppled by the union” and goes on to detail the synchronized push and pull between them. There will be relationships that masquerade and look like our twin flame but are not. Then there are soul mates, which we usually have many of in one lifetime because they're not limited to our significant others - could be a family member or friend.
My thoughts are that a twin flame is like looking at your soul’s mirror where both or one are awakened and, granted the personalities that come with these minds may differ, the soul connection goes much deeper and exists on a much higher plane.
Twin flames can also go through a lifetime and never find one another, but they’re eventually reunited once it is time.
I also read THIS ARTICLE by Samantha Lucas that explains in depth the relationship aspect of twin flames once they have united... that one was a mind blower. This relationship goes through cycles before ending in the couple either staying together or separating. And, yes, that can happen twin flame relationships are incredibly challenging and will have growing pains along with again we may meet them we may not.
In my research on this topic, I found a blog that was very honest. I loved reading her take on twin flame traits and thought I would list them here, so you can form your own opinion on it. (I will post blog link below)
• Shock and Awe - “The very first thing you'll discover is the deep sense of knowing. You'll feel this person in your soul. This happens with all types of soul bonds, but there is a weight that comes with the twin flame meeting that doesn't with the others.”
• Rough Waters - “One of the biggest aspects of the twin flame is that it mirrors back to you all the areas you have wounds. Every place that you are not acting in your best interest, and where you need to grow” we all will have battle scars, and not letting those define us is the gardest thing especially when ut cones to opening yourself to this person and being vulnerable. Accepting our darkness and using that to shed light instead because that's who you are is freeing but getting there can and will be painful.
• The Doormat - “Some twin flame unions can turn abusive and that is never something you should stay in. This is why I say, be aware. Be aware of what is happening. You and this other person may be two halves of the same soul, but that does not give them the right to treat you with anything less than dignity and respect” again physical, mental or emotional abuse un aby firn that tears us down is not acceptable and seeing thise red flaggs regardless if feelubgs is detrimental.
• Desperation - “On some level you feel your twin slipping away and panic has begun to take hold. This is the stage that gets ugly because we too often get it into our heads that all that has to happen for this to work is to get the other person to see us in person.”
• Separation - “inevitably every twin flame couple comes to this stage. I have never heard of one that doesn't. More often than not, there is a tearing apart, unbearable pain, a reunion that doesn't work and we repeat”
• Never a twin flame - “At some point, we all get sick to death of the whole mess and we wish we'd never heard the term twin flame. Well, here's where we put on our big girl/boy panties, suck it up and accept our truth... our twin swept through our lives like a wildfire, we feel beaten, broken, bloody and bruised, but it's time to assess the damage and find a way to carry on, without rewriting history. Also known as twin flame fever”
• Acceptance - “After phase 5, you hit a fork in the road. One path leads to 6, the other to 7. For some, they find 7 at the end of 6, for others, they never find 7 at all and that, in my opinion, is an absolute tragedy.” here I look at it as with anything you have look at each situation from all angles and decide whether or not to stay on one or go, but never stay if its physically harnful at all because that us not love in any perspective.
Now, Samantha goes into greater detail and I thought this was the most brutally honest rendition of the phases of twin flames I found.
From my viewpoint, a twin flame is a way the universe says WAKE UP and evaluate your life and see what baggage you hold onto, the past that may have burned you, the let downs, abuse anything that does not serve you we need to let it go. I know awakening is not easy because you face the harsh realities of yourself, and we all have things we want to change, but don’t know how! Do some research to find out how to get past the blockages, overcome the pain, and start fresh with a new set of eyes, and maybe just maybe it will be that lifetime were we will find this love and it will be everything we want, or it will teach us more about ourselves than we ever thought we could know. Twin flames are important to raising vibrations and the consciousness of the world. These unions in can play a pivotal role in shaping the future.
Author: Kieran of Silfren Circle