Tonight is the new moon… well, technically it was this morning at 10:01 am. Now, while some perform spellwork on new moons, i observe the *entire* dark moon as a time of rest from any magick. i do no projective work during this time. My rituals simply revolve around the contemplative and inward yet connected energy of the new moon, herself. It marks the completion of our work in the closing lunar cycle and is a time to lay the groundwork and tone for the next.
My focus is solely on:
3. Conncection with Spirit
4. Giving thanks
i’ve created rituals around the new moon for many many years. i’ve found it to be more rewarding the more deeply i delve into each of these focuses. However, for this post, we’ll just look into reflection.
For me, it’s an amazing opportunity to survey my current circumstances, looking both at what i do and do not have control over. From there, i make note of where change needs to be made, what i need to bring in and what i could be releasing.
Anything that i have control over, i can later actively do something about. Then again, anything beyond my control, i can also actively do something about… lol - we’re witches, guys… that’s where spellwork comes in. Our focuses on the new moon set us up, not only for what we need to work on in our physical lives, but both spiritually and magickally, as well. It’s an important night.
And, each new moon has its own flavor. Like most, i use her astrological placement and where it falls in the year as a guide. And, here we are with the dark moon in Scorpio on November 7th.
The mysterious Scorpio has a fixed energy - at its best, showing a genuine nature, loyalty and deeply held connection that no other sign can. At its worst, either digging its heels in or becoming seemingly erratic in behavior. This is simply because it’s such a deeply feeling sign, incredibly intuitive and quick to err on the side of self-preservation and protection. In addition, the hallmarks of Scorpio are transition, death and change.
This matches perfectly with where we are in the wheel of the year. It’s a time of hibernation, descension, isolation, contemplating death, fear, our shadow selves, the unknown and our spiritual connections.
So, let’s use that energy to shape our reflection...
Get some paper and a pen so that you can record anything of importance. Really take your time here, though. In my practice, i often drink tea, meditate and open myself up for connection beforehand. i also include some divination work and follow up with a ritual of thanks or simple observance. That bit’s up to you - here, i’m simply providing you with some prompts for reflection...
1. In what ways are you currently transitioning? Really pull this apart - think spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically, socially, etc. Take stock of every facet of your life.
2. Where are your weak spots in transitions? Don’t just think in terms of “negative” life situations - try to include it all. Think grief, think successes, think small and large lifestyle changes… relationship, health, work, societal, personal, within the family, political, social, mental, etc.
3. Where are you not showing up for yourself in life?
4. Where do you react instead of taking action?
5. What are your negative patterns and addictions? Don’t forget to focus on the mental and emotional here - they are easily overlooked and often the root of our physical patterns and addictions.
6. What do you need to bring into your life or gain better control of right now? This is what you can actively work on in the next two weeks as the moon waxes. Again, don’t even worry about a plan of attack right now, though. That can be dealt with in the following days. For now, simply observe and describe.
7. What do you need to eliminate, lessen or release your sense of control over right now? (these are just ideas for the moment- you can further investigate and work on these things at the full moon)
8. What are your greatest fears?
9. How do you feed them?
10. How do they hold you back?
11. What is gained from them?
12. Where do you hold illusions in life?
13. What are you hiding from others?
14. What are you hiding from yourself?
15. Where do you detach too quickly?
16. Where are you afraid to move forward or let go?
17. How do you connect spiritually?
18. How can you connect with Spirit differently or more deeply?
Now, in all of your work, be as honest with yourself as possible. This is between you and Spirit. Firstly, there is no judgement, only reality. Beyond that, there is nothing to gain by holding back or shading things in any way. So, don’t cheat yourself. Really go there with yourself if possible tonight. Align yourself with the energy of this lovely new moon and dig deep. That’s what it’s all about.
Happy New Moon and Many many blessings...
Miss Nin of Silfren Circle
Welcome! i'm deeply spiritual and have been studying and practicing various forms of witchcraft, divination, paganism and metaphysical studies for well over 25 years - i'm an empath, death midwife, intuitive diviner and the creator of Silfren Circle